Once I started wearing the brace, the biggest issues I had were:
- that the plastic of the brace made my leg sweat,
- the edges along the top would rub against my skin causing skin sores,
- the straps are velcro straps that kept cutting into my skin.
I tried all kinds of things that were suggested to me: tall socks, leg wrappings, etc..and nothing seemed to work. Then one day when I was complaining, I made the statement that what I really needed was a sock to cover the plastic, and Lang told me to sew something that would do what I had suggested.
So, I started thinking about what I needed, and the following is what I came up with. It works really well. The fleece absorbs any sweat and keeps my leg comfortable.
This is a finished piece.
To make it, I did the following:
1. I took strips of paper towels and taped then to the inside of the brace making sure that the paper towel was larger than the outside edges.
2. I then took a felt pen and outlined the edges along the brace edges.
3. I carefully pulled that out of the inside of the plastic brace and set it aside.
4. I did mark all spots where I would have to cut holes to accommodate straps.
5. I then did the same thing for the outside of the brace.
6. The only concession I had to make was adding the length of fabric that would be a strap.
7. When sewing front to back, I made sure the top and strap parts matched and then just sewed them together. Since fleece doesn't fray, cutting holes for the straps is no big deal.