1. I had Terri, the long-arm quilter leave the excess fabric on the blanket. Then, per something I read on line, I trimmed the outer edge down to one inch from the fabric edge. I sewed the binding on, putting raw edge to the line Terri sewed around the perimeter of the finished quilt. I measured out ⅜ inch from the line I sewed and trimmed the edge back to that.
2. Using water soluble glue, I glued the binding down on the back side, ironing it to set the glue. Glueing it down meant that I did not have to deal with pins as I tried to sew the binding in place. The first time the quilt is washed will remove the glue from the quilt.
3. Since my hand stitching has much to be desired, I used a decorative stitch to sew the binding down permanently.
It is now on the bed!!