Friday, November 22, 2013

The King Size quilt is finished…finally

I finally sewed the last thread on the king size quilt I have been making for our bed for the past year.  I learned a few things in the process.

1.  I had Terri, the long-arm quilter leave the excess fabric on the blanket.  Then, per something I read on line, I trimmed the outer edge down to one inch from the fabric edge.  I sewed the binding on, putting raw edge to the line Terri sewed around the perimeter of the finished quilt.  I measured out ⅜ inch from the line I sewed and trimmed the edge back to that.


2.  Using water soluble glue, I glued the binding down on the back side, ironing it to set the glue. Glueing it down meant that I did not have to deal with pins as I tried to sew the binding in place.  The first time the quilt is washed will remove the glue from the quilt.

3.  Since my hand stitching has much to be desired, I used a decorative stitch to sew the binding down permanently.

It is now on the bed!!

1 comment:

  1. Bob, it looks fabulous! Thanks for the tip on gluing down the binding. I never thought of that, but it would really make things easier on the machine or by hand, too! You did a great job, and it goes to show that if you stick to it, an end does show up eventually! =) Susan from Beehive